Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Pierino goes to the movies

Two films where the city is the star:

During my short visit to San Francisco I did manage to climb on the #38 Geary bus and ride out to see "In Bruges". This is one of the most enjoyable films I've seen in years. It was written and directed by Irish playwright Martin McDonagh. It's insanely, wickedly funny and Purgatory does play a part. Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleeson play two hit men who have to hide out after a disasterous whack gone wrong. Do you like Bosch?

Also while I was in San Francisco I stopped at Virgin and picked up the DVD of "Lisbon Story." This is a favorite of mine. It's a film by Wim Wenders which didn't getting much exposure in the US. Not only does it showcase Lisboa---an incredibly beautiful city---but it also features the music of the group, Madredeus. Those of us who love things Portugal know that you have go it because it's not going to come to you. I believe that Spain is a hallucination at the foot of the Pyrennes and that Portugal is an island floating in the Atlantic.

No comments: