Thursday, September 25, 2008

Oh' Paso




Pierino is back from a brief vacation in Paso Robles. We intend to live there in the not so distant future.




The place I always visit first, immediately on arrival is Villa Creek.

You can see it here with a full moon in the background.


On my first night in I ordered a cassoulet, not quite in season, but delicious.


While was eating my cassoulet at the bar (dining solo I'm always at the bar, where you can learn a lot of stuff) I noticed this pate plate come and be delivered to my neighbor. So the next night I went back and ordered it myself. Bread with rosemary, grilled fuet, salumi, olives, and at the right, a house made rabbit and chicken pate. Outstanding. I was able to chat with sous chef for a bit because he was working the front of the house. I knew the sources for almost all of the ingredients on the plate, so we had lively little talk.

Go to Paso, eat at Villa Creek.

There's a rumour around that Keller (the Keller) is planning to open a restaurant there. Makes some sense as Hwy 46 W takes you through local wine country and then over to the coast.

Apart from wine, if you visit Paso the things you should pick up are olive oil, cheese, and of course the local wines.

No comments: